Register / Login  |  Desktop view  |  Jump to bottom of page

Suggestions and Feedback » Rotate usage of CPU cores to distribute temperature?

Author: maxbraketorque
4 years ago
Just wondering if its feasible to rotate usage of the CPU cores to more evenly distribute heat production across the cores and keep max core temperatures down. My MacBookPro is getting fairly toasty during the initial backups of my external drives. QR seems to be favoring Core 1 and Core 2 with their temperatures consistently running in the mid-80C range while Core 3/4 are running in the mid-70C range.

Author: James Bucanek
4 years ago

maxbraketorque wrote:Just wondering if its feasible to rotate usage of the CPU cores to more evenly distribute heat production across the cores and keep max core temperatures down. My MacBookPro is getting fairly toasty during the initial backups of my external drives. QR seems to be favoring Core 1 and Core 2 with their temperatures consistently running in the mid-80C range while Core 3/4 are running in the mid-70C range.

What tasks get assigned to what CPU is completely outside QRecall's control. That's entirely the job of the Darwin kernel and I know of no way to influence it.

Also note that modern, mobile, CPUs often have one core that's more powerful, with auxiliary cores that are more efficient. So intensive tasks vs. light/periodic tasks are going to favor one core, or one type of core, over others.

Author: maxbraketorque
4 years ago

James Bucanek wrote:
maxbraketorque wrote:Just wondering if its feasible to rotate usage of the CPU cores to more evenly distribute heat production across the cores and keep max core temperatures down. My MacBookPro is getting fairly toasty during the initial backups of my external drives. QR seems to be favoring Core 1 and Core 2 with their temperatures consistently running in the mid-80C range while Core 3/4 are running in the mid-70C range.

What tasks get assigned to what CPU is completely outside QRecall's control. That's entirely the job of the Darwin kernel and I know of no way to influence it.

Also note that modern, mobile, CPUs often have one core that's more powerful, with auxiliary cores that are more efficient. So intensive tasks vs. light/periodic tasks are going to favor one core, or one type of core, over others.

ok. Thanks. Perhaps I'll point a clip-on fan at the computer.

Author: LeviTaylor
8 months ago
Can cycling CPU core usage help even out temperatures?

Author: James Bucanek
8 months ago

LeviTaylor wrote:Can cycling CPU core usage help even out temperatures?

Not really. Most modern CPUs are multi-core, which means that all of the cores are on the same chip. So moving work around to different part of the same chip isn't going to change the energy expended by that chip.

It's a moot point anyway, as regular programs have absolutely no control over this whatsoever. All task and CPU switching is managed by the kernel and there are precious few influences over that.

Author: jakabasej4
5 months ago

James Bucanek wrote:
maxbraketorque wrote:Just wondering if its feasible to rotate usage of the CPU cores to more evenly distribute heat production across the cores and keep max core temperatures down. My MacBookPro is getting fairly toasty during the initial backups of my external drives. Sharp edge shop QR seems to be favoring Core 1 and Core 2 with their temperatures consistently running in the mid-80C range while Core 3/4 are running in the mid-70C range.

Thank you for shedding light on the intricacies of CPU tasks allocation.

Register / Login  |  Desktop view  |  Jump to top of page