QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Compression and Shifted Quanta Detection RSS feed
Forum Index » Beta Version
Sheldon Furst

QRecall defaults to the lowest (i.e. fastest) settings for data compression and shifted quanta detection. When I initially tried the program I was extremely disappointed because it appeared to me that the data de-duplication abilities were abysmal. Only after much digging did I discover Archive Settings and the ability to change these settings. Now QRecall exceeds Crashplan in archive size with no apparent speed penalty.

Might I suggest that the program defaults be set somewhere in the mid range for the Archive settings so that new users don't feel as I did?
James Bucanek

Sheldon Furst wrote:
Might I suggest that the program defaults be set somewhere in the mid range for the Archive settings so that new users don't feel as I did?

That's a tough one.

It used to be set on low-to-middle by default, but people with some really large archives were getting abismal performance so I set them to off by default.

On the other hand, the duplicate data performance for large archives has improved radically since those days, so maybe the time has come to turn it back on for new archives again.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » Beta Version
Go to:   
Mobile view