QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

cannot read envelope content length RSS feed
Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Ralph Strauch

When I look at the number of times that my name is cropping up on the "Problems . . ." Forum, I feel like some kind of complainer, but I just seem to be having a lot of minor, intermittent problems recently. These problems, including this one and the "hash file" issues I've written about previously, intermittently prevent backups from completing. They don't seem to damage the archive, though, because if I just restart the backup it will run to completion without an issue. My wifi network probably is involved, since it doesn't happen to backups of the iMac on which the backup disk is mounted, or to occasional backups to my MBP with the backup drive directly mounted. It does seem to be happening more often, though, and I've been running the network the same way since I started using qrecall in 2007.

This latest problem, where qrecall stops processing a folder and reports "cannot read envelope content length" has occurred eight times since Nov 26. Sometimes it affects a single file or folder, other times qrecall will run through and balk at a whole series of folders. During the same period, I've had six failures due to "negative hash file" problems. After either of these failures, a rerun of the backup will generally be successful. I don't think I saw these problems before Mavericks came out, and most of them occurred since I got a new retina MacBook Pro, so both of those factors may be involved.

Qrecall's lack of responsiveness to cancel requests is also a minor annoyance. Often time when the backup hangs, qrecall refuses to terminate the process and I need to terminate qrecall helper manually in Activity Monitor. (I know it sometimes takes a while, but I'm talking about 15 minutes or more here.) Sometimes even this won't work, and the only way to regain control of Qrecall seems to be by rebooting.

I'll send a report.

Ralph

Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Go to:   
Mobile view