QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

minor backup issues RSS feed
Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Ralph Strauch

I back up my MacBook Pro over wifi to a backup disk connected to my wife's iMac, using a backup action set for 3am and "hold while no archive." The MBP lid is often closed at night, so the backup takes place when I open the lid in the morning. I've been doing this for years, through three different laptops, and it usually works flawlessly. Since getting new retina MBP in December, though, I occasionally find that the MBP has attempted a backup sometime in the early morning (not at the 3am scheduled time) while the lid was closed, and that backup has failed. I can then successfully rerun the backup manually. I'm guessing that this is somehow related to Apple's new "Power Nap" feature, even though that option is not checked in my Energy preferences. This isn't a big deal, but I'm passing this on FYI. I'll submit a report that shows it in backups on 4/7 and this morning.

I have Sophos anti-virus running and watching my email, and it occasionally quarantine's Windows viruses and asks me to remove them. If a backup runs before I've done that, a log entry will show up that the file could not be captured. See this morning's 9:43 backup, for example. Again, not a big issues, but just FYI.

Ralph
James Bucanek

Ralph Strauch wrote:I'm guessing that this is somehow related to Apple's new "Power Nap" feature, even though that option is not checked in my Energy preferences.

I would have to guess the same thing, except that you?ve got it turned off so it shouldn?t by waking up at all. Do you have a ?Start Up or Wake? option set in the capture action?

When I get your diagnostic report, I?ll file a bug with Apple.

I have Sophos anti-virus running and watching my email, and it occasionally quarantine's Windows viruses and asks me to remove them. If a backup runs before I've done that, a log entry will show up that the file could not be captured. See this morning's 9:43 backup, for example. Again, not a big issues, but just FYI.

That?s what I would expect to happen. Some anti-virus software will quarantine a suspect file, intercepting attempts to read it?s content at the filesystem level, to protect your system from its contents. That includes QRecall. QRecall will report that it couldn?t read the file, and continue on, and that?s exactly what you?re seeing the log.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Go to:   
Mobile view