QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Duplicating a qrecall archive RSS feed
Forum Index » General
Ralph Strauch

I backup to two distinctly named archives on two separate drives, swapping between them and always keeping one offsite. One of those drives just failed and was replaced with a new drive. Can I simply copy my remaining archive over to the new drive and rename it as my second archive, or is there internal identification information within the archive that would create problems doing this?

Ralph
James Bucanek

Yes, there are internal identifiers, but you shouldn't have to worry about it (too much).

Each archive is associated with a unique ID, which is used to monitor its status. When you duplicate your archive, you'll have two archives with the same ID. At least, for a while...

The next time you do something with the duplicate archive (verify, capture, whatever), just make sure the original archive is mounted at the same time. QRecall will see that you have two archives with identical IDs and will automatically assign your second archive a new ID.

If, for some reason, you *never* have both archives mounted at the same time, that could confuse QRecall. To fix that situation, simply control/right+click on the duplicate archive in the Finger, choose Show Package Contents, and trash its status.plist file. QRecall will create a new one, with a new ID, and all will be right with the world.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Ralph Strauch

OK, thanks. Normally both archives aren't in the house at the same time but they will be when I'm copying onto the new drive, so I"ll do something then. I thought I remembered something about the archives have internal identifiers, so I'm glad I thought to check.

Ralph

Forum Index » General
Go to:   
Mobile view