QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

2.1.8 and previous update drop contact with Scheduler RSS feed
Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Mats Jacobson

Since a few weeks, since 2.1.7 I believe and now 2.1.8, also after a clean re-installation and multiple restarts Qrecall cannot connect to the Scheduler. QRecallScheduler and QRecallSwitchboard are running according to Activity Monitor.

After the clean re-installation Qrecall Monitor the app doesn't seem to run. I can start it from within the QRecall app and it will run, but nothing works even still.

In Console I see a few "Uncaught Exception was raised" and some <private> entries. The log says "Install command failed" multiple dates. I uninstalled and made a clean installation (left preferences intact) from 2.1.8 image and restarted the system. Didn't help.

macOS 10.12.6 Sierra. SiP is inactivated. is this a known problem? What can be done here?
James Bucanek

Mats,

Let's start by getting a diagnostic report. Open QRecall and choose Help > Send Report from the menu.

That will collect your recent log activity (a lot of which you don't normally see), crash reports, and configuration information that will hep us figure out what's going on.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Mats Jacobson

James Bucanek wrote:Mats,

Let's start by getting a diagnostic report. Open QRecall and choose Help > Send Report from the menu.

report sent.
James Bucanek

Mats,

It seems you have a weird, partial, installation. You definitely have a scheduler installed and running, but it's the 2.1.4 version (which is why QRecall refuses to recognize it).

But the real problem is that you have privileged services installed, but your system isn't preauthorized for administrative privileges.

My guess is that at some point QRecall prompted to upgrade its privileged helper service and something went wrong, so the pre-authorization went away leaving some services installed/updated and others not.

I suspect you can solve this simply by launching QRecall and going to QRecall > Preferences. Choose the Authorization tab and check the "Capture and recall items with administrative privileges" option.

QRecall should then prompt for your administrator's account and password. If successful, it should install the privileged helper service.

Count to three, quit QRecall, and launch it again. If I'm right, everything should get reinstalled and start working again.

If I'm wrong, you know how to send another diagnostic report...

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Mats Jacobson

James Bucanek wrote:
I suspect you can solve this simply by launching QRecall and going to QRecall > Preferences. Choose the Authorization tab and check the "Capture and recall items with administrative privileges" option.

QRecall should then prompt for your administrator's account and password. If successful, it should install the privileged helper service.

Count to three, quit QRecall, and launch it again. If I'm right, everything should get reinstalled and start working again.

If I'm wrong, you know how to send another diagnostic report...

I couldn't do any of that as QRecall hung no matter what I tried to do. I attempted a detailed uninstallation followed by a new fresh installation after a restart and while I now get QRecall 2.1.8 properly opened I lost my schedule Actions for the main archive. Are these possible to recreate? I still have most files I think. Are the actions saved somewhere in them? I can open the archive, but that's it as far as I can see.
James Bucanek

Sorry to hear you're having so many problems, but I suspect the manual un-install fixed whatever problem was preventing your privileged helper service from installing.

Mats Jacobson wrote:I attempted a detailed uninstallation followed by a new fresh installation after a restart and while I now get QRecall 2.1.8 properly opened I lost my schedule Actions for the main archive. Are these possible to recreate? I still have most files I think.

Each QRecall action is stored as an action file (.qraction) in the ~/Library/Preferences/QRecall/Actions folder inside your home folder. Each file is automatically named (e.g. important stuff-compact_0.qraction) in a way that should make it easy to identify what that action is.

If you have copies of your action files (say, in the archive that captures your home folder or still in your Trash), simply move/copy/restore them back to that folder and restart your system.

If you're a little bit geeky, you don't have to restart your whole system. The QRecall app and the background scheduler look at the Actions folder when they start up and after you make any changes to your actions. But if you manually alter the files in the Actions folder, you'll need to nudge QRecall into loading the Actions folder again. The quickest way to do that is to re-launch the QRecall app and the QRScheduler process. The later can be restarted using the Activity Monitor app; use the search field to find the QRScheduler process and tell it a "Quit" (a TERM signal, if you want to do this from the command line). It will immediately restart and reload the actions in the Actions folder.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Mats Jacobson

James Bucanek wrote:
Each QRecall action is stored as an action file (.qraction) in the ~/Library/Preferences/QRecall/Actions folder inside your home folder. Each file is automatically named (e.g. important stuff-compact_0.qraction) in a way that should make it easy to identify what that action is.

If you have copies of your action files (say, in the archive that captures your home folder or still in your Trash), simply move/copy/restore them back to that folder and restart your system.

?
The quickest way to do that is to re-launch the QRecall app and the QRScheduler process. The later can be restarted using the Activity Monitor app; use the search field to find the QRScheduler process and tell it a "Quit" (a TERM signal,

This worked though it took a long time to accept run immediately. Thank you!

Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Go to:   
Mobile view