QRecallDownloadIdentity KeysForumsSupport
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
Messages posted by: Jon Lindemann
Forum Index » Profile for Jon Lindemann » Messages posted by Jon Lindemann
Had to go through the entire protocol (apart from thew dagger items and #9. Components then installed

Running the shell script for the diagnostic reports gave nearly the same results as the previous one.

That being said, all five items were captured without apparent issue. I'll verify the archive overnight.
James,

Thanks for your prompt reply (as usual).

Had to run through the entire protocol (omitting daggers steps) to get components installed. According to log, components installed without issue.

The diagnostic report looks like then I sent you yesterday (even running as root). Sent.

That being said, I started the capture script and it seems to be running. We'll see how that turns out as it may be a while for it to catch up.

Running Mojave with all current updates including XProtect, Gatekeeper and MRT. QRecall given full disk access privileges in System Preferences/Security&Privacy

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Jon
Was this ever resolved? I'm having failure of Capture but successful Verify even after taking steps mentioned above.

Diagnostic report sent, but access errors in that too according to the results of the shell script you mentioned.
James,

Thanks for your prompt and cogent reply.

Jon
Here's a tip:
If you are recapturing large disk images, you'll get much better performance if you turn off (lowest setting) shifted-quanta analysis in the archive's settings. This will greatly improve recapture performance.

Disk images are an array of immovable blocks. Data doesn't "shift" in a disk image the way it can in a file. So searching for shifted data wastes a great deal of resources.

James,

I know this is an cold "Beta" thread, but do you have any new recommendations regarding archiving large virtual disk images in Parallels?

My virtual machine (.pvm) and its associated virtual hard disk (.hdd) currently reside on my BootApps partition on a PCIe SSD which is backed up by cloning. I am considering moving the .pvm to a "Master" or "Docs" partition on a RAID to free up space on my boot partition. That "Master" and "Docs" partitions (about 350 GB each) are archived by QRecall. Archives are performed daily only @ 0300h or perhaps manually if substantial new files are added to my Mac. The Virtual machine is run only 1-2 times/month; the associated ".hdd" file is currently 45 GB.

In the "Help" file on "Shifted Quanta Detection" you indicate that "Many files (log files, disk images, virtual machine files, and so on) do not benefit at all from shifted quanta detection."

My question therefore related to how QRecall will handle the relatively infrequent changes in my "Virtual" hard drive (.hdd). If I enable "Shifted Quanta Detection" in the archive preferences, will that add hours to the nightly backups? Is it of any benefit?

Parallels apparently has an option to split the ".hdd" into 2 GB files: would that avoid archiving the entire 45 GB ".hdd" file every time it's changed? (The archive is on a 4 TB, USB-3 volume).

Thanks,

Jon
Thanks James.
James,

1. Does one need to "Schedule" the action for Rolling Merges or is specifying the periods of merging layers sufficient?

2. You mentioned weekly COMPACT and VERIFY actions. Should one VERIFY before COMPACTing or does COMPACT also verify?

Thanks,

Jon
Thanks James. It worked fine.
So, to change from a trial key to a personal key, the entire archive has to be recaptured?

My archive includes three volumes. So when I enter a permanent key in QRecall Preferences : Identity Key, I have to create a new archive and then combine the two archives? As in putting another 680GB archive on the same external hard drive and then combining them?

Sorry to be so dense...

Forum Index » Profile for Jon Lindemann » Messages posted by Jon Lindemann
Go to: