QRecallDownloadIdentity KeysForumsSupport
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
Messages posted by: Eric Oshlo
Forum Index » Profile for Eric Oshlo » Messages posted by Eric Oshlo
James,

Thanks. I gather then that Qrecall can do a push, but not a pull. In other words, I'll need to keep Qrecall running on all three machines (two laptops and a home server) so that Qrecall can automatically mount the Archive volume and "push" the data to it rather than run it on just the server and have Qrecall automatically mount and "pull" the data from the laptops as they connect to the network in order to back them all up.

Is this correct, or can it work either way? I presume if it were able run on just the server and pull the data, it would need a small client running on the laptops or some other way to know when the laptops were available to be backed up.

Thanks for helping walk me through this..

Eric Oshlo
I am a home user with 2 laptops and a 3rd older machine that runs 24/7 as a home server. I am currently using Retrospect and looking for a more modern, user friendly backup alternative.

Obviously, Qrecall has caught my eye; however, I haven't figured out whether it can perform in the same fashion as Retrospect with respect to automatically backing up the laptops when they are connected to our home network with out the need to manually mount the laptop volume on the server machine or vice versa manually mounting the server volume on each laptop.

Retrospect can find laptops when they appear on the network and then back them up (capture them) on a schedule with no user action or intervention needed whatsoever.

Is there a way to set up Qrecall to peform in a similar completely transparent fashion? My wife in particular is not one to fiddle with mounting volumes and I don't want the laptops continually looking for a non existent volume when we travel.

I hope the answer is yes! javascript:emoticon('');

Regards,
Eric Oshlo
oshloel at mail dot com

Forum Index » Profile for Eric Oshlo » Messages posted by Eric Oshlo
Go to: