QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

How to use "Restore To" RSS feed
Forum Index » Cookbook and FAQ
Author Message
Bruce Giles


Joined: May 19, 2007
Messages: 66
Offline
Is the "Restore To" command documented in the help? I couldn't find it, but, but maybe I wasn't searching the right way.

Anyway, I had created an external bootable backup drive for our server. No backups on it yet, just the OS and QRecall. I wanted to clone it (using QRecall) to our second external backup drive. I successfully archived the first backup drive. Then it took me a good 20 minutes to figure out how to get the "Restore To" command to work. I kept selecting everything in the archive window, but when I'd hold down the Option key and click on the Archive menu, the Restore To command was there, but grayed out.

I finally noticed the "Show Owners & Volumes" command in the View menu. I had never used it before, but I tried it. Sure enough, the little drawer popped out, and then I was able to click on the volume name. Once I did that, then the Restore To command was enabled. I restored to the second backup drive, set it as the startup disk, and rebooted, and it came right up.

So, everything worked perfectly once I figured it out, but it was not obvious (at least not to me) how to get Restore To to work.

-- Bruce
James Bucanek


Joined: Feb 14, 2007
Messages: 1568
Online
Bruce Giles wrote:Is the "Restore To" command documented in the help? I couldn't find it, but, but maybe I wasn't searching the right way.

QRecall Help > Capture Basics > Restore Items. After the basic restore instructions, there a note on how to restore a volume.

How were you searching? If I search the help for "restore volume" or "recall volume" the Recall Items page is the first hit.

I finally noticed the "Show Owners & Volumes" command in the View menu.

Oh, that's embarrassing. The help really should mention that you must open the owners & volumes drawer in order to select an entire volume.
[Email]
Bruce Giles


Joined: May 19, 2007
Messages: 66
Offline
James Bucanek wrote:
Bruce Giles wrote:Is the "Restore To" command documented in the help? I couldn't find it, but, but maybe I wasn't searching the right way.

QRecall Help > Capture Basics > Restore Items. After the basic restore instructions, there a note on how to restore a volume.


Actually, the title of the page is "Recall Items", not "Restore Items". And that was part of my problem. I knew the command I wanted was "Restore To", so when I saw this page, the title caused me to think it was about the Recall command only, and I therefore didn't really look at it. Had I not known what the command name actually was, I would probably have read the "Recall Items" page more closely, and found the answer.

How were you searching? If I search the help for "restore volume" or "recall volume" the Recall Items page is the first hit.


First I tried "Restore To", including the double quotes. (Old Google habits die hard.) When that returned no hits, I tried it again without the quotes.

I finally noticed the "Show Owners & Volumes" command in the View menu.

Oh, that's embarrassing. The help really should mention that you must open the owners & volumes drawer in order to select an entire volume.


Yeah, that step 1 "Select a captured volume" was the hard part, if you don't know about the Owners & Volumes drawer.
James Bucanek


Joined: Feb 14, 2007
Messages: 1568
Online
Bruce Giles wrote:Actually, the title of the page is "Recall Items", not "Restore Items". And that was part of my problem. I knew the command I wanted was "Restore To", so when I saw this page, the title caused me to think it was about the Recall command only, and I therefore didn't really look at it.

That's a good point. I might break out the Restore command and give it its own page.
[Email]
 
Forum Index » Cookbook and FAQ
Go to:   
Mobile view
Powered by JForum 2.8.2 © 2022 JForum Team • Maintained by Andowson Chang and Ulf Dittmer