QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

"Lost Connection with Command" RSS feed
Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Glenn Henshaw

I recently updated to the 1.2.0(5) beta and OSX 10.6.4. The subject message pops up after the backup is run. The backup isn't complete either, although it looks like, from the elapsed time, it should have run.

From the logs, it looks like the QRecallHelper is crashing.
 Filename QRecallHelper_2010-06-18-015342_localhost.crash [Disk] Download
 Description Crash log
 Filesize 26 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  464 time(s)

James Bucanek

Glenn,

This is a bug in Launch Services. I've been bumping into this since the 10.4 days.

The problem is that "something" happens to the Launch Services database that causes QRecall to crash when it asks the operating system for the icon of a (usually hidden) file.

This can sometimes be fixed by simply getting the finder to visit the item and refresh it icon information. If you know, approximately, where QRecall crashes simply open up every folder and subfolder at or near that location. This causes the Finder to reload the icon information for each displayed item. For some reason, this usually fixes it.

If you have no idea where QRecall is crashing, or just don't care, you can usually fix the problem by resetting the Launch Services database with this ungainly command in the Terminal (all one line):

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Restart and try it again.

Before you do this, however, also make sure that there's nothing wrong with the directory structure of the value you're capturing from. Use Disk Utility to perform a verify of the volume. Repair it if necessary before proceeding.

You can also send in crash reports using the Help > Send Report... command. This also includes some anonymous system profile information and your recent log records, which can help diagnose the problem.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Glenn Henshaw

Thanks.

Curiously enough I rebooted and a manual backup worked. I ran the command you suggested, and I will wait to see if the overnight backup works.
Glenn Henshaw

It looks like the fix worked. Thanks.

Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Go to:   
Mobile view