QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Kernal Panic On Restore RSS feed
Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Jeffrey Wilson

I'm Using the Trial Version of Qrecall 1.1.3 and I have restored my Startup Drive Twice but everytime I do I get a kernal panic and the drive won't boot. I'm Using an external firewire drive with 10.5.8 on it to Restore Snow Leopard and I can see from the external drive that all of the contents have restored onto my startup drive but when I restart my imac it won't boot and gives the kernal panic. Hope Someone can help

Thanks

Jeffrey Wilson
James Bucanek

Jeffrey Wilson wrote:I'm Using the Trial Version of Qrecall 1.1.3 and I have restored my Startup Drive Twice but everytime I do I get a kernal panic and the drive won't boot. I'm Using an external firewire drive with 10.5.8 on it to Restore Snow Leopard and I can see from the external drive that all of the contents have restored onto my startup drive but when I restart my imac it won't boot and gives the kernal panic.

Jeffery,

I've never tested that sequence of events, but I wouldn't be surprised if what you're trying to do is impossible. Snow Leopard (10.6) introduces a number of new file features, like compressed data and resource forks, that appear as non-standard or empty data when viewed from Leopard (10.5). It's entirely possible that capturing or restoring a Snow Leopard installation via Leopard will leave critical bits of information behind. Similarly, you can't capture or recall a Leopard installation using Tiger.

Did you capture the OS using Snow Leopard or Leopard? If you captured it using Leopard, you may be hosed?but again, I've never tried it so I don't know.

Have you tried restoring it using Snow Leopard? QRecall supports a "live" restore of your booted OS. You should be able to install a new copy of Snow Leopard, boot from that volume, restore over it (don't attempt to use the computer for anything else during the process), and then immediately restart.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
James Bucanek

As a follow up, I tested this a little on Snow Leopard. I've been meaning to do this as part of testing the as-yet-to-be-released Mac OS X 10.6.1, so now seemed as good a time as any.

I have a Snow Leopard installation on an external drive that's been running QRecall 1.1.3. It had been running 10.6, which I upgraded to the (pre-release) 10.6.1. I then captured the 10.6.1 system, rewound the archive, restored the 10.6 system, and restarted.

It booted just fine and I launched about a dozen apps to test it out. I confirmed that it was running 10.6. I then restored again, this time restoring the 10.6.1 system captured earlier, restarted, and was rewarded with another working system running 10.6.1 (again, pre-release).

So capturing and restoring the boot volume from Snow Leopard seems to be working still. I'll attempt to capture the same system later using Leopard. A second experiment would be to restore from the archive captured by the Snow Leopard system using Leopard and see what happens.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Go to:   
Mobile view