QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Deleting items from the archive RSS feed
Forum Index » General
Ralph Strauch

I think I know the answer to this, but would like to confirm it. According to Qrecall help:

"The item is deleted from every layer of the archive as if it had never existed or had never been captured."

I'm interpreting that to mean, more precisely, that the item is deleted from the same location in every layer of the same volume in the archive. I.e.,

1) if an item was moved from its original location to a new location and the original is deleted and the moved copy remains in the archive, and

2) if the archive contains more than one logical volume for the same physical volume, then removing an item from one of those logical volumes does not remove it from layers in other logical volumes.

The second issue comes about because my archive contains three logical volumes for my MacBook Pro hard drive. The first contains layers over a year old, the second contains layers up to last week when my failed hard drive was replaced, and the third contains layers since then. The second layer was possibly created when I move from my prerelease beta key to a regular key and the third seems to have been created by the hard drive replacement.

I want to keep old versions of my user files in the first two layers, but am not interested in keeping old copies of my apps, system and library files, etc. I think I should be able to delete these things from the first two volumes without affecting my current versions of those files, but would just like to confirm that before I make the deletions.

Ralph
James Bucanek

Ralph,

Everything you posted is spot-on correct. I couldn't have phrased it better myself.

If you select one of the older volumes and delete your System or Applications folder, it will only discard the files and data from the layers containing that volume.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » General
Go to:   
Mobile view