QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Damaged Layer RSS feed
Forum Index » General
Adrian Chapman

After verify indicated a damaged archive, and the auto repair didn't work. I resorted to the "Copy recovered content to new archive" option, which successfully created a verifiable archive, which works fine. However, as can be seen from the screen grab below, there is an unknown damaged layer that I don't seem to be able to remove. although it doesn't seem to be doing any harm I'd like to be rid of it if possible. Any ideas?

James Bucanek

Adrian Chapman wrote:... there is an unknown damaged layer that I don't seem to be able to remove. although it doesn't seem to be doing any harm I'd like to be rid of it if possible. Any ideas?

A "-Damaged-" layer means that one or more of the items that were originally captured in that layer has been lost or damaged.

To determine exactly what was damaged you'll need to refer to the log or examine the layer. The repair command will log everything it finds wrong with the archive and what it did about it. More than likely, your archive contains an invalid block of data (disturbingly common when capturing via WiFi) belonging to a file. The repair will mark that file as "damaged", or delete it altogether, depending on the amount of data lost.

As an alternative to the log, shade (hide) every layer except the "-Damaged-" one, and then explore its contents. The items that were damaged will also be marked as "damaged" or "incomplete."

It might be possible get rid of your damaged layer by merging it with subsequent layers. If the damaged item, or items, was successfully captured in a later layer, merging it with that layer will replaced the damaged (or missing) item with the successfully captured one. The resulting merged layer will be complete again. On the other hand, if the next layer did not recapture that item (because it didn't changed), the merged layer will as be marked as damaged.

So it's possible to expunge your archive of damaged layers by merging, but you'll also lose all of the other intermediate changes that occurred between those layers.

My advice is to simply be aware of the problem and be wary of damaged items when recalling from that layer.

The damaged layer should eventually be erased through the normally scheduled merge actions. Also note that a file or folder marked as "damaged" in the repository forces QRecall to recapture that item during the next capture. Thus, a capture following a repair will recapture any possibly lost items in the archive.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » General
Go to:   
Mobile view