QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

File Format Concern RSS feed
Forum Index » Suggestions and Feedback
Dr. Luciano F. Pereira

Hi first, things first I think you are developing a great product. Very easy to use and a speed demon.

But as usual, today's hype is going to be tomorrow legacy no matter what you do (wear sunscreen )

Being serious as a lawyer my main concern is to preserve text.

My documents until now survived devices such as cassettes, 5 1/2", 3 1/2", zip disks, CDs and now SDDs devices MAINLY because i avoid a plethora of file formats and always stick to 3 group of 3 letters: txt , csv and zip (now also sql dumps).

That's why i think a lot of people would benefit to have as feature the option to "store as zip" or "tar.gz" or a converter option to that format.

In that case no matter architecture changes, or if you don't have a working mac you can always rely on opening at leas your most important files.

Choosing a backup software is a really important issue that's why i want as a non-expert to make the best 'educated guess' this is my 2 cents.

Thanks for the forum and i hope to learn more about keeping my information safe.

James Bucanek

Luciano,

Thanks for posting. I agree that file format longevity is a serious issue, particularly in how it pertains to backup and archiving solutions.

Your idea of being able to export the contents of a QRecall archive directly to a ZIP archive is intriguing. I'm adding this to the wish list as something to explore for a future version. I already have plans for making QRecall archives accessible via other means, but the idea of a direct-to-ZIP export does have some merit and might not be terribly difficult to implement. It's food for thought.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » Suggestions and Feedback
Go to:   
Mobile view