QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

beta 41 problems RSS feed
Forum Index » Beta Version
Ralph Strauch

I think I've had problems with beta 41 since I installed it, but that's also around the same time I upgraded to Lion, so that may also have been the source of the problems. It was running automatically and I wasn't paying much attention, so just noticed it this weekend.

My iMac seems to have a scheduler problem. When I try to run a backup it tells me that the scheduler could not be and I should quit and restart qrecall to install it. All the while the log is filling up with "unexpected problem; scheduler stopping immediately" messages, several each minute. I've trashed qrecall and reinstalled a new copy (still b41) and that didn't change anything.

My MacBook Pro had backup failures of a number of different kinds, including permissions problems for the repository.data file within the package, which Finder tells me has read-write permissions for everybody. I tried a number of different things to get it going and eventually corrupted the archive. Repairing the archive seems to have fixed it, and my last backup looks good.

I'll send problem reports from both computers. The MBP seems to be running OK now, so that one's just for your information if you're short on reading material. I still can't backup the iMac, because of the scheduler issue, and need a solution for that.

Ralph
Ralph
James Bucanek

Ralph Strauch wrote:I think I've had problems with beta 41 since I installed it, but that's also around the same time I upgraded to Lion, so that may also have been the source of the problems.

Ralph,

You most definitely have a problem with the scheduler process on your iMac. It's a simple problem, with an easy fix, but I have no idea how or when it happened.

Find the com.qrecall.scheduler.plist file in your ~/Library/Preferences folder and throw it away. This will fix your problem.

The preferences file for your iMac's scheduler had an invalid value for one of the settings. Specifically, when the scheduler shuts down it saves whether the user was currently logged in or out, so when it starts up again it can correctly schedule any actions that might have been waiting for a log in or out event.

The problem is that the value stored in the com.qrecall.scheduler.plist is invalid (neither logged in nor logged out). The beta version of the scheduler takes this as a bad sign, panics, and terminates. OS X's background process management starts it again in 10 seconds and the whole calamity repeats itself. *sigh*

The log file is so full of restart messages that there's not enough history in the diagnostic report to tell when this problem started or what might have precipitated it.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Ralph Strauch

That seems to have taken care of it. Thanks.

I noticed that each qrecall plist has a corresponding plist.locked. Are those the default values? The scheduler.plist.locked was last modified 6/24, which may have been when I update to b41. Some of the others were last modified yesterday morning, though, when I can't think of anything in particular that I was doing.

Ralph
James Bucanek

Ralph Strauch wrote:That seems to have taken care of it. Thanks.

Glad to hear it.

I noticed that each qrecall plist has a corresponding plist.locked.

The .plist.locked files are a new feature of Lion. QRecall doesn't create them. I suspect they are filesystem semaphores used to make concurrent access to preferences files more efficient and predictable.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » Beta Version
Go to:   
Mobile view