QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Restore problem RSS feed
Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Tellan Wong

I am trailing Qrecall and found that its restore function is not what you said that it will replace data if found the concurrent version is different with backup while keep unchanged data be untouched.
I did a simple test that restore a folder contained only an application which is untounched after backup. Then I tried to restore its enclosing folder. I found Qrecall treated it as a changed item and copy the whole folder from backup all over.
Actually I intent to find a backup program which could restore entire drive with only changed item compared to backup in order to save time. Qrecall is tolded it can do so but the test told another story. Else if I have do something wrong? Please advise.

Thanks in advance!

Tellan
James Bucanek

Tellan,

If I understand your question correctly, QRecall does not skip items during a recall. It will skip over items that it is reasonably sure have not been modified during a capture action, but the same rules can't be applied during a recall action.

When restoring items, QRecall replaces items in their entirety with the version captured in the archive. To improve performance, it will read existing items and compare their data with the version in the archive. The existing item will be overwritten only if it is different, but the ultimate result is that every items on the destination volume will either be rewritten or compared in its entirety.

During a recall, QRecall does not skip items that merely appear to be the same. An existing item's metadata is insufficient to guarantee that the item is identical to the version stored in the archive. The only way to be sure that the restored items are identical to their captured versions is to write, overwrite, or compare all of them.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Go to:   
Mobile view