QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Could QRecall have helped me? RSS feed
Forum Index » General
pdx79

Yesterday, I was working with a Parallels virtual machine, and I decided to revert to a prior snapshot. After about two seconds, my screen went black, and the Mac rebooted. It then said the Mac had restarted due to a problem. (I guess this is a kernel panic? Any kernel panics I've experienced over the years have always told me I had to reboot, but never rebooted automatically...)

Anyway, the VM still boots and seems usable, but any attempt to revert to ANY snapshot results in the same kernel panic. I'll have to start from scratch.

Had I been using QRecall, and had my VM backed up, would I have been able to avoid starting over? Will QRecall allow me to (manually, of course) back up the current state of a file at any time, or only according to a set interval?

Thanks!
James Bucanek

pdx79 wrote:Had I been using QRecall, and had my VM backed up, would I have been able to avoid starting over?

Possibly. It would depend on the actual cause of the problem.

Assuming that something bad has happened to the state of your virtual machine file, then yes, QRecall would have allowed you to restore earlier versions of your VM until you found the point in time that it was not corrupt.

QRecall has a distinct advantage in these situations. Because it performs block-level de-duplication, it can efficiently capture dozens, if not hundreds, of incremal versions of your entire virtual machine package. This would make it much more likely that you could find the point in time where the problem was introduced.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
pdx79

James Bucanek wrote:
pdx79 wrote:Had I been using QRecall, and had my VM backed up, would I have been able to avoid starting over?

Possibly. It would depend on the actual cause of the problem.

Assuming that something bad has happened to the state of your virtual machine file, then yes, QRecall would have allowed you to restore earlier versions of your VM until you found the point in time that it was not corrupt.

Yes, the virtual machine file itself is corrupt. It will let me create as many snapshots as I want, though restoring any of them is now impossible. I have been able to confirm that it is only the one virtual machine that exhibits that behavior. So it sounds as if QRecall would have been a perfect safety net in this situation.

Forum Index » General
Go to:   
Mobile view