QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Testing QRecall - first questions RSS feed
Forum Index » General
Matthias Kallweit

Hello, I'm testing QRecall.

Is ist a good idea to create a bootable backup with Carbon Copy Clone using an external drive, delete the folders pictures, music from this backup and use this backup as an emergency boot disk.

The second step is to create a QRecall-Archiv and capture the HD once a day.

Running in trouble with my internal HD I can boot from my emergency backup. And the second step of the restore? Restore my QRecall-Archiv?

Thanks

James Bucanek

I'm glad to hear you're trying out QRecall.

The recommended method for setting up a recovery drive is outlined in the QRecall Help > Quick Start > Backup Strategies > Bootable Recovery Drive.

In a nutshell, I recommend installing a clean copy of OS X using the OS X installer, creating an account, deleting all extraneous applications and utilities, and then installing QRecall on the recovery volume. (Note that you don't need an identity key for this installation.)

Reboot to your normal system and configure QRecall to perform your regular backups to an archive on the recovery volume.

If you run into trouble with your startup volume, reboot from the recovery volume and use QRecall to restore or recall whatever is required.

If you already have a QRecall archive on an external volume, but haven't set up a bootable recovery volume, you have two choices for restoring your startup volume. The first choice is to install OS X on the external volume (without erasing the volume), download QRecall from this website, and then restore your startup volume from the archive. Alternatively, you can wipe and reinstall OS X over your existing installation (using network Recovery mode), and once you can successfully logged in again, re-download QRecall and recover your files from the archive. Before doing the later, I would definitely verify the archive and make sure it has recently captured all of your files.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Matthias Kallweit

I've my Test-Archiv located on my NAS. Trying to recapture is not able.

The log says: Cannot open file, permissions error (on file open), Permissions 0x0004

The Volume is mounted. I've not dismounted the volume after the first capture
James Bucanek

Matthias Kallweit wrote:The log says: Cannot open file, permissions error (on file open), Permissions 0x0004

QRecall needs the ownership and permissions necessary to access the files in archive package (like any document).

This is complicated when the archive is on a shared volume. I suggest turning the "Ignore ownership and permission" option on for a volume that's going to be used for QRecall archives, especially one being accessed by more than one user.

If you don't have this option on the volume, make sure all of the users accessing the QRecall archive log into the networked volume using the same account.

If you're still stuck, send a diagnostic report (QRecall application > Help > Send Report).

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » General
Go to:   
Mobile view