QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

No More Growl Notifications... RSS feed
Forum Index » Beta Version
Gary K. Griffey

I purchased the new Growl 1.3 available via the App store for my 10.7.2 machine.

It appears that this new Growl release no longer registers QRecall as an available application for notifications.

Is there a way to re-activate this functionality?

Thanks...

GKG
Steve Mayer

Gary,

I'm also using Growl 1.3 on OSX 10.7.2 and have no problems getting the Growl notifications from QRecall.

Steve
Gary K. Griffey

That is odd...

So you see QRecall in the Growl...Application tab? I do not...are you using the current beta release of QRecall?

GKG
Steve Mayer

Gary,

Yep. Using the latest QRecall 1.2.0(47) and Growl 1.3.

I've attached a screenshot showing the Growl preferences with QRecall present.

Steve
  • [Thumb - [2011-10-17085148]  Growl-Settings.png]
 Filename [2011-10-17085148] Growl-Settings.png [Disk] Download
 Description No description given
 Filesize 104 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  674 time(s)

James Bucanek

Gary K. Griffey wrote:I purchased the new Growl 1.3 available via the App store for my 10.7.2 machine.

Gary,

I saw the announcement by the Growl Team a few weeks ago that they had produced an App Store version of Growl along with a new SDK for developers. I made a note to update the Growl framework imbedded in QRecall, but haven't gotten around to it just yet.

The latest App Store Growl, however, should work with older Growl compatible software. And for some people, such as Steve, that's clearly the case.

A few Growl developers, however, have commented that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, and there's no clear consensus right now as to why. One thing you might try is to log out and back in again (if you haven't already). The Growl source in QRecall is the monitor process, which starts when you log in and stops when you log out. Note: if you're running the Beta version of QRecall, choose the Windows > Restart Monitor command—you'll get the same effect.

I will note that the old version of Growl uses distributed notifications to communicate. Several users of QRecall have noted that the monitor window sometimes doesn't appear when an action starts. QRecall also uses distributed notifications to announce when actions start and stop. Personally, I think there's something wrong with distributed notifications in Lion.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Gary K. Griffey

James / Steve,

Thanks for the info...I do perform the Restart Monitor command basically every time I run QRecall on my 10.7.2 image...just to get the monitor window to be displayed.

I think your statement about sometimes it works, sometimes it does not is correct. Before 10.7.2 was released last week...I was running the 10.7.2 (11C73) developer's build...and Growl and the QRecall beta were working together fine.

Then I rebuilt a clean 10.7.2 image after the final release...loaded the apps in the same order, etc. but now QRecall is not "seen" by Growl...

Thanks...

Steve, I guess you are just lucky!!!

Steve Mayer

Time to buy a lottery ticket I guess...
James Bucanek

Gary,

I just checked up on Growl development, and it looks like I can upgrade QRecall from the Growl 1.2 framework to the 1.2.2 framework. Most comments seem to indicate that 1.2.2 works reliably with Growl 1.3 on Lion.

The Growl 1.3 SDK isn't available yet, and doesn't support Leopard, so that isn't an option right now. I'll upgrade the embedded framework this week and it should roll out with the next release of QRecall. Please me know if the behavior changes.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Gary K. Griffey

Great...

Thanks for the update...

GKG

Forum Index » Beta Version
Go to:   
Mobile view