QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

QRecall not working in Sequoia RSS feed
Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Ming-Li Wang

Hi,

Chances are you knew about this already, but since I can't find any notice on the website, I'll report it anyway.

QRecall 3.0.8 doesn't work on MacOS 15.0 Sequoia. I can't open any archive. There is no error message; nothing happens when I ask it to open an archive.

One should avoid the .0 version of a new OS, I know. I do usually wait till the .1 release. It just so happened that Sequoia came out just as I had to reinstall my system from scratch (for reasons unrelated to QRecall). I thought I could save myself another reinstall when 15.1 comes out in a couple of months.

The installation of QRecall was problematic, too, for the ~/Library/LaunchAgents folder somehow got a 644 permission setting on my freshly installed Sequoia. After it's properly set up (no more error messages in the log), I could open the Log window and Actions window, and scheduled actions (restored from my previous installation) did appear to run.

Sorry, no debug log; I wanted to test something (again, unrelated to QRecall) and had to revert my system back to an earlier APFS snapshot, so I no longer have QRecall installed.

My hardware is a Mac Studio M1 Max (2022).
James Bucanek

Sorry to hear you're having difficulties.

QRecall is definitely compatible with macOS 15.0 (Sequoia). I'm running it here, and I've heard from dozens of other users who are too.

With any major upgrade, macOS can be persnickety about software that's installed at the OS level and given elevated privileges. The usually solution is to just uninstall the software and resinstall it.

Given the problems you're describing, it's likely that macOS is blocking the low-level components from executing. The side effect is that the QRecall application can't uninstall itself (since it needs those components to accomplish that—catch 22).

So you'll want to run the uninstall utility script buried inside the QRecall application bundle, like this:

• Quit all of your other applications (the uninstall will perform a system restart, so you want to make sure you've saved your work).

• Open the Terminal app

• In the terminal, execute this command:
  • /Applications/QRecall.app/Contents/Resources/uninstall.sh

The command will prompt you for your administrator password, uninstall all active QRecall components, and then restart your system.
    (Note: this assumes QRecall is located in your /Applications folder; if it isn't, adjust the path accordingly.)

• Following the restart, launch the QRecall application and let it reinstall itself.

• macOS may than ask you to authorize various QRecall components to have access to external volumes, etc., to which you should agree.

That should resolve your problems. Let us know if it doesn't.

- QRecall Development -
    [Email]
    Ming-Li Wang

OK, that's encouraging to know.

Did you install Sequoia from scratch or did you upgrade in place, may I ask? Some MacOS oddities show up only with freshly installed systems. The troubles QRecall ran into when trying to install a pair of plist files into ~/Library/LaunchAgents as I reported in my first post is a case in point. Upgraded systems would have the old permission in place and wouldn't have the problem.

Anyway, I've reinstalled QRecall and given every permission it has requested, including manually granting it full disk access. ("com.qrecall" was on the "Full Disk Access" list automatically; I only needed to flip the switch. QRecall, the app itself, had to be added manually.) Still no go.

I then removed all login items and disabled all "Allow in the Background" permissions except those requested by "James Bucanek", as shown in the attached screenshot below. Rebooted the system and still no go.

A debug report has been sent from QRecall. (I can still launch the app and get the menu at the top. I just can't open my archives.)
    • [Thumb - Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 10.26.44.jpg]
     Filename Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 10.26.44.jpg [Disk] Download
     Description No description given
     Filesize 49 Kbytes
     Downloaded:  6 time(s)

smithriyan668

Even, I Had the same problem, thanks for the thread.
    [WWW]
    James Bucanek

Ming-Li Wang wrote:Anyway, I've reinstalled QRecall and given every permission it has requested, including manually granting it full disk access

For the record, the only QRecall component it makes sense to grant "Full Access" is the QRecallHelper component. This is the executable that does all of the real work in QRecall, including capturing and recalling items.

Most of the other QRecall applications and component don't access anything beyond the archives and your preferences. Although granting "Full Access" to everything won't (likely) harm anything, the best security practice is to limit the access of applications to just what they need and nothing else.

- QRecall Development -
    [Email]
    Ming-Li Wang

OK, that's good to know. I added QRecall to "full disk access" only after I had trouble opening any archives, as a desperate last measure.

Just to make sure, by "QRecallHelper" you mean the one shown as "com.qrecall", right?

Thanks!
    James Bucanek

Ming-Li Wang wrote:Just to make sure, by "QRecallHelper" you mean the one shown as "com.qrecall", right?

It should appear as "QRecallHelper":

The "com.qrecall" is likely the identifier of the privileged elevation service, which does not need Full Disk Access.

- QRecall Development -
    [Email]
    Ming-Li Wang

Thanks for the screenshot. Mine is different. (screenshot attached below)

As said, the "com.qrecall" item got itself on the list; I only flipped the switch. Same with QRecallScheduler, which got itself on the list much later. (It wasn't there when I last posted here a day or two ago. I saw it only when I wanted to take a screenshot just now.)

How do I add QRecallHelper to the list, then?

A second screenshot is to show you QRecall's log window. Everything was installed properly as far as I can tell.
    • [Thumb - Screenshot 2024-10-02 at 23.20.41.jpg]
     Filename Screenshot 2024-10-02 at 23.20.41.jpg [Disk] Download
     Description Full disk access
     Filesize 250 Kbytes
     Downloaded:  4 time(s)

• [Thumb - Screenshot 2024-10-02 at 23.21.52.jpg]
     Filename Screenshot 2024-10-02 at 23.21.52.jpg [Disk] Download
     Description QRecall log
     Filesize 98 Kbytes
     Downloaded:  2 time(s)

Ming-Li Wang

I found QRecallHelper in ~/Library/Application Support/QRecall, and added it to "full disk access" manually. Still can't get QRecall to open my archives.
    James Bucanek

I was just about to post on how to manually add the QRecallHelper app to the full disk access list, but you figured it out already.

If you haven't sent a diagnostic report, do so now (in the QRecall app, choose Help > Send Report).

I received a diagnostic report that I believe is yours, but the report is anonymous. If it is yours, that means you have not installed your identity key and you didn't provide a contact email address in the report. Also, the log records in that report show no attempt to open an archive or run any actions. So I'll need some clarification on what you mean by "can't open an archive" because there are no archive access failures logged.

If you have more details, sending those to QRecall Support will likely be faster than using the forum.

Finally, opening an archive for browsing in the QRecall app shouldn't require any exemplary permissions. QRecall archives are regular documents which should be accessible to the user account that has QRecall installed, like any other spreadsheet or music file.

The QRecallHelper process, however, performs the actually capture and recall of items and often needs elevated user privileges to accomplish its work. That's why QRecallHelper is the one (and only) component that's a candidate for Full Disk Access.

- QRecall Development -
    [Email]
    Ming-Li Wang

Sorry for forgetting to enter my license key after reinstalling QRecall. I've entered the license key and updated my OS to 15.0.1, but still no luck opening my archives. Another report has been sent, and will use the email support channel from now on.

Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
    Go to:   
    Mobile view