QRecallDownloadIdentity KeysForumsSupport
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
Incorrect backup status shown for QRecall beta and El Capitan  XML
Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Author Message
David Ramsey



Joined: 05-May-12 08:46
Messages: 44
Offline

I'm running the latest QRecall beta under El Capitan. It's working perfectly-- in fact I restored some files today with it. However, the status window says it hasn't been backed up for 10 days (yesterday it said 9 days).

There was an interrupted backup 10 days ago. But every backup since then has gone perfectly (I checked the log file).

I think the failure to clear the "backup problem" is likely a bug, albeit a minor one.
James Bucanek



Joined: 14-Feb-07 10:05
Messages: 1472
Offline

Very odd.

If you haven't already done so, please send a diagnostic report. Then, if you have the time, please locate the following files and send copies to support@qrecall.com:

1) The files in the folder ~/Library/Preferences/QRecall/Status

2) Locate the archive that's being captured, right/control+click on its icon and choose Show Package Contents. Find its status.plist file.

Send me those files and I'll have a look.


- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Adrian Chapman



Joined: 16-Aug-10 10:30
Messages: 72
Offline

I see this quite frequently. I archive from my iMac and my wife's Macbook. The iMac is ethernet connect to a NAS, the Macbook connects wirelessly to the NAS via my router.

It is always a Macbook archive that shows up as not being run for x days, but when I check the actions have been running correctly. I should add that all my verify, merge and compact actions run from my iMac.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02-Dec-15 05:19

James Bucanek



Joined: 14-Feb-07 10:05
Messages: 1472
Offline

David Ramsey wrote:There was an interrupted backup 10 days ago. But every backup since then has gone perfectly (I checked the log file).

I think I've discovered where the confusion lies. You have (or had) two archives. You were capturing to the older archive, but then you deleted all of the actions for that archive, created a new archive (with a different name), and created new actions for the new archive. The new archive is working just fine, but the old archive is no longer being captured to.

That's the reason it's status is giving you that warning.

Now, if the old archive is really dead and/or gone, then you can remove it from the status window by right/control+clicking on its status and choosing the Forget command. The status window will stop tracking that archive (unless you perform another action on it, then it will start monitoring it again).

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
James Bucanek



Joined: 14-Feb-07 10:05
Messages: 1472
Offline

Adrian Chapman wrote:It is always a Macbook archive that shows up as not being run for x days, but when I check the actions have been running correctly. I should add that all my verify, merge and compact actions run from my iMac.

Adrian,

Can you clarify a few things? Are you capturing to the same archive on the NAS, or separate archives for the iMac and Macbook? Is the status message you're talking about the one on the Macbook or the iMac? Does the iMac and Macbook show different status message for the same archive? Is the NAS connected to the Macbook all of the time, or only during the capture? Does the Macbook capture occur when it's logged in or out?

When archives are shared across networks, keeping the status information up-to-date across all participants gets a little tricky.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
David Ramsey



Joined: 05-May-12 08:46
Messages: 44
Offline

James Bucanek wrote:
David Ramsey wrote:There was an interrupted backup 10 days ago. But every backup since then has gone perfectly (I checked the log file).

I think I've discovered where the confusion lies. You have (or had) two archives. You were capturing to the older archive, but then you deleted all of the actions for that archive, created a new archive (with a different name), and created new actions for the new archive. The new archive is working just fine, but the old archive is no longer being captured to.

That's the reason it's status is giving you that warning.

Now, if the old archive is really dead and/or gone, then you can remove it from the status window by right/control+clicking on its status and choosing the Forget command. The status window will stop tracking that archive (unless you perform another action on it, then it will start monitoring it again).


D'oh! QRecall is clearly smarter than I am. I could make the weak argument that it should stop doing this, taking the position that deleting the actions implicitly means I don't want to track it any more. But that would be pretty weak.
Adrian Chapman



Joined: 16-Aug-10 10:30
Messages: 72
Offline

James

James Bucanek wrote:Can you clarify a few things? Are you capturing to the same archive on the NAS, or separate archives for the iMac and Macbook?

Each computer has its own pair of archives, one each for the system volume and the Users Volume.
James Bucanek wrote:Is the status message you're talking about the one on the Macbook or the iMac?

It is the status message on the iMac
James Bucanek wrote:Does the iMac and Macbook show different status message for the same archive?

I can't remember off hand, I'll check next time it happens
James Bucanek wrote:Is the NAS connected to the Macbook all of the time, or only during the capture?

The NAS is connected wirelessly via the router so unless the Macbook drops the connection, which is rare, but not unheard of, it is connected all the time. The NAS always reappears after sleep too.
James Bucanek wrote:Does the Macbook capture occur when it's logged in or out?

Captures only occur while logged in.
James Bucanek wrote:When archives are shared across networks, keeping the status information up-to-date across all participants gets a little tricky.

I can appreciate that, which is why it isn't a big issue for me.

Adrian
Redfred Garett



Joined: 19-Sep-16 22:57
Messages: 2
Location: New York City
Offline

Hi,

I've done what you said about reset TM, it worked for a day, then the next day it was back to normal.

Thanks !!
[WWW]
 
Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Go to:   
Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team